Hooligan PU Colour Options
Hooligan PU shape
The design of this Kym Thompson shape incorporates the responsiveness of a narrow shortboard tail and rail profile, to create a longboard that carves long, drawn-out lines and hits the lip.
• Advanced surfers will appreciate loads of hollowed V under their feet to give quick rail-to-rail turns.
• Show off all your surfing skills with a dynamic shortboard approach to rail-to-rail carving, then switch modes for classic nose riding and traditional longboard style.
• Use a small single fin for ankle slapper and add side biters and a larger center fin as wave size and swell increase.
• Bring out your inner surf hooligan, break down the traditional surf style rules and mix things up on the wave with an aggressively modern and classic style.
Due to growing demand, the Hooligan PU is available in two designs and also comes in our eco-friendly CocoFlax construction.
Slightly thinner than the CocoFlax version, a Hooligan PU rewards accomplished riders with more responsiveness and that vintage longboard feeling.
About Kym Thompson
Starting at the young age of 15, Kym Thompson made designing surfboards his life’s work and to this day he designed and shaped everything from single fin boards, right down to all multi-fin configurations.
Originally, Kym began his career shaping longboards and as the shortboard era took hold, Kym advanced his skills and transitioned his designs to meet the demands of the market.
From 2001 onwards, Kym and NSP built amazing shapes in the PU Heritage Series like the Endless, Hooligan, Dream Rider and Fighting Fish. Shortly after completing the Atomic Flyer range, the surfing industry was shocked to learn of KT’s untimely passing.
NSP is looking forward to honour Kym’s craftsmanship and knowledge by continuing to issue the different Kym Thompson models and their unique features.
Hooligan PU construction diagram
Precision-CNC cut, shaped, laminated and finished by hand. With a natural flex pattern and reliable feel, PU has been the standard construction for many years in the surfing industry.
While not as durable or as light as boards laminated with epoxy resin, PU performs in all surf conditions and can be adapted to suit a wide variety of surfboard models.
– CNC-profiled, hand-shaped high-density polyurethane foam with a wooden stringer
– High-quality polyester resin and fiberglass hand laminated and sanded to a satin-rub or fully polished high-quality finish
– NSP designed FTU fin boxes (compatible with Futures Fins) on all models
Poly, or PU boards have long been the standard for most brands and are the most widely and affordable options still out there.
Due to the foam, weight and density, PU / PE boards sit a little lower in the water, helping to keep your rail under, giving you a nice “knifey” feel when slicing through the wave’s face.
Being a touch heavier also helps them to handle choppy conditions better and are less prone to being bounced around. Sitting lower in the water also has its benefits to barrel riding, providing more hold in hollow waves.
Hooligan PU Features
Hooligan PU Testimonials
“I truly dig this board. The round tail and decent amount of rocker allow for late drops, pocket rides and steep sections. It’s a super fast and responsive shape. Consider it my – shortboard of longboards – , because I get to walk the nose still.”